In 1970 C programing was created by Dennis Richie and ken Thompson was made to create portability in UNIX Pascal was invented in 1970 by niklaus wirth a small but very precise language meant to promote good programming practices. Smalltalk created by Alan Kay Dan Ingalls Adele Goldberg ted kaehler scoot Wallace in the 1980s was created to be mainly educational use, Prolog was invented in 1972 by roussel Kowalski and colmerauer was the first logic programming language. Was meant for general programming branching with AI and computer linguistics ML was invented by robin Milner in 1973 pioneered statically typed functional programming languages, 1980 C++ was invented at bell laboratories the cool thing about c++ is it has low lever and high level machine languages. 1990 java was developed by James gosling it turned out to be one of the more popular programming languages. Visual basic was invented in 1990s it creates all windows based applications.Pt1420 – Unit 1 Assignment 1
UNIT 1 – BOOK REVIEW QUESTIONS
(PAGE 26, SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS #1–6)
1. Why is the CPU the most important component in a computer?
a. Without the CPU, the computer could not run software. The CPU is the part of the computer that actually runs the programs. (pg. 3)
2. What number does a bit that is turned on represent? What number does a bit that is turned off represent?
b. 1 represents a bit that is turned ON. 0 represents a bit that is turned OFF. (pg. 8)
3. What would you call a device that works with binary data?
c. A device that works with binary data is called a DIGITAL device. (pg. 11)
4. What are the words that make up a high-level programming language called?
d. The words that make up a high-level programming language are known as KEY WORDS or RESERVED WORDS. (pg. 17)
5. What are the short words that are used in assembly language called?
e. The short words that used in assembly language are called MNEMONICS. (pg. 14)
6. What is the difference between a compiler and an interpreter?
f. A COMPILER is a program that translates a high-level language program into a separate machine language program. An INTERPRETER is a program that both translates and executes the instructions in a high-level language program. (pg. 17-18)
7. What type of software controls the internal operations of the computer’s hardware?
g. An operating system controls the internal operations of the computer’s hardware. (pg. 20)