How to Write an Opinion Essay
From the name of this type of essay, it is clear that the student is required to express his own opinion on a particular topic providing clear evidences and fact to persuade the audience. The key to success is to write a well-stated term paper that contains several points of views along with reasons and clear examples. Pay attention that opposite point of views is also required.
How to Start an Opinion Essay
The best way to succeed with such assignment is to choose the right topic. Though you do not have to be an expert in a particular field, you need to be at least interested in the subject to proceed with a detailed research and analysis. You are supposed to persuade your audience that presented opinion is rather strong using evidences and examples.
Opinion Essay Topics and Examples
- Should students be allowed to have phones in elementary and high schools?
- Should students have to wear uniforms?
- Should college athletes be paid for playing?
- Should the elderly receive free bus rides?
- Should state colleges be free to attend?
- Should all American citizens have to complete a year of community service?
- Should students be required to take Spanish classes?
- Should marijuana be legal for medicinal purposes?
- Should the voting age be lowered to thirteen?
- Should the driving age be raised to twenty-one?
- Should students be paid for having good grades?
- Should illegal immigrants be allowed to get drivers licenses?
- Should not wearing a seat-belt be illegal?
- Should student’s textbooks be replaced by notebook computers or tablets?
- Should students have to pass a basic skills test to graduate high school?
- Should schools raise money by selling candy and sugary soft drinks to students?
- Should schools serve french-fries and fried potato products to students at lunch?
- Should students’ grades in gym affect their grade point averages?
- Should girls be allowed to play on boys sports teams?
- Should teens be able to buy violent video games?
Opinion Essay Outline and Format
A successful opinion essay should consist of:
- Main Body (featuring several points of view and evidences divided into paragraphs)
- Conclusion (restate your attitude or opinion to sum up)